Saturday, December 15, 2012

More vintage lamps

 

First of all, no 70s home is complete without a swag lamp. Lets take care of that.

DSC_0014

Dave found this neat lamp on Craigslist, and went and picked it up in NE Portland, where it had spent the last 40 years or so hanging in a lovely 60s house. It was a pendant lamp, and wired directly into a box in the ceiling. So all we needed to do was turn it into a swag lamp. Luckily getting a swag lamp kit from the hardware store, and a new socket was no big deal. We reassembled it and tested it out and then hung it in the living room.

 

DSC_0021

Hey that looks great! Wait a minute…DOH! Can you see the problem? Back to the workbench.

 

DSC_0002

After disassembling it, moving a few pieces around, and reassembling the socket again, everything was back where it belonged. Now we can sit back and admire our new swag lamp!

 

For lamp #2, we have a special lamp which I have been trying not to break for the last 7 years or so, since I found it in my Aunt Margie’s basement while clearing out her estate. It is a Plastco Chalkware lamp.

 

IMG_1844

 

Why is this lamp special to me? Well, it’s cool. Plus, take a look at this picture of my Dad on his wedding day:

 

James Lynn

Check out that awesome lamp on the table behind him! That’s my lamp!

Unfortunately I can’t find an awesome lampshade like that for it, at least without spending a fortune. I cleaned up the lamp, rewired it with a new socket and cord, and set it aside. Today I was walking through a store and happened to spot a shade I thought would do the trick. Maybe someday I’ll get it a proper vintage shade, but for now, I thought this looked pretty nice.

 

DSC_0017

 

_

3 comments:

heather said...

More "groovy" goodies ! Lovin' all the neat finds you are sharing =)

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Very cool lampshade for that art deco style lamp. You are having so much fun with all the retro decor.

~Lisa

StefRobrts said...

Thanks, we're really enjoying finding the stuff, and it's made the house feel cozy and lived in. I don't think it would have felt like 'home' quite so quickly without all this cool vintage stuff that reminds us of the houses we grew up in :)