Saturday, November 24, 2012

New Camera, Kitty update

Yesterday I did my part to help the economy by picking up a new Nikon 5100 DSLR at Best Buy on a Black Friday sale. In my research to buy a new camera I discovered they are pretty much priced the same everywhere, with sales popping up here and there, and the sales are always the same amount too. I don't get how that's legal. Anyway, I decided to go for it and get the latest model in the amateur DSLR line. Unfortunately only one of my old lenses will work with it, but the kit lens seems good.

My first test shot: Mighty - on my desk:


Handheld, without Image stabilization turned on, with just the light from my desk lamp - nice!

BTW, the kitties are doing fine in our new home. I'd kind of like to keep them inside, but I don't know if they would be too bored after having been outdoor kitties on the farm. On the other hand I don't want them annoying the neighbors, catching birds, getting hit by a car, or chased by neighborhood dogs. A friend suggested an invisible fence they make for cats that could keep them in the backyard, but they would still catch birds, and the gardens in the backyard are full of birds. The other morning we were making breakfast and watching all the birds playing in the bushes and taking baths in the bird bath - fun! I think if we let these two out the birds would go somewhere safer! So for everyone's sake, we'll see about keeping them in for now at least.

_

3 comments:

heather said...

Love!!! CONGRATS on the new camera, Merry early Christmas to you =) I would do the same thing with the cats at the new house for all the reasons you mentioned, plus you don't know if you have a cat hating neighbor. Good luck keeping them happy inside. I'm looking forward to more photos !

RobbieKay said...

I don't know if this would be an acceptable compromise, but I've seen a portable unit in the Drs. Foster & Smith catalog that allows cats to go outside, yet still keeps them safe. We had considered getting it for our cat who travelled with us a lot due to his medical condition. Unfortunately, he died before we ever made the purchase. :( (The item seems pricey for what it is, but you're so handy, you may be able to come up with a homemade version!)

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Lovely photo! Congrats on your new toy.
I also prefer indoor kitties as I am a bird watcher. When we lived in SC, several of our neighbors allowed their cats to free roam, I had a bird feeder in the back yard in front of our kitchen window so the kids and I could enjoy bird watching.
Well after one too many times of watching one of those trespassing cats leap and catch birds visiting our feeder, we finally stopped feeding the birds. Broke our hearts because we loved it so much, but I wasn't going to provide a free bird buffet at my house for stray cats. :(

Perhaps you could make a fenced, covered cat yard?

~Lisa