Monday, July 30, 2012

My first gallery show and sale

 

Our photo club, the Camas Camera Club (Camas is a small town about a half hour from here) was invited to do a group display in the Camas Library Gallery. We meet in the library every month, so we already have a relationship with them. We were each able to exhibit three pictures. I chose three of my favorites:

mountain walk 

3

11

 

However, after having them printed out I decided I really didn’t like the way the horse picture looked – it was just too dark. It’s the first time I’ve ever had my digital pictures professionally printed, so it took a bit of trial and error to get them looking the way I wanted – but the horse picture just wasn’t working out. Luckily I had just been to Ridgefield Wildlife Refuge and took this picture, which I really liked, and substituted it at the last minute.

 

DSC_6308

 

Our club was all using the same black frames from Costco, so they would be inexpensive, and all match, and so we would all be on a level playing field. The frames were 11x13 I think, and came with a mat sized for an 8x10. Some folks didn’t use the mats, or used Lightroom software to make mats that were part of the image, and did some really creative things. When I first showed the picture of Barclay to the club, folks suggested I should edit it to make the tongue stick out past the edge of the photo. So I handed it over to Dave and let him at it.

 

Barclay

 

It came out very cute! Because the picture is a tiny crop of a bigger photo, it doesn’t really have the resolution to go 8x10, so I had it printed as a 5x7, on an 8x10 sheet of paper, and then framed that. To my complete surprise, when Dave and I arrived at the gallery opening (a little late because I had to get off work and go all the way across town to Camas) …

 

steph-barkley-photo-1

Barclay’s picture was the first one in the gallery to sell! A gentleman said his daughter had three Eskimos, and he bought it for her! I really didn’t expect that, in fact I thought I would get to hang it up at home after the gallery was over! What a thrill to have my picture sell to someone like that! Everyone in the club was jealous, and they were all teasing me that from now on everyone would be taking nothing but dog pictures!

Tomorrow the gallery display will be taken down, the Barclay picture will go to it’s new home, and the other two pics will come home to me. I may not be done showing though, I hear someone in the club may have found a coffee shop that would like to have our pictures displayed in it. I guess I’d better go get another Barclay print done – got to give the people what they want!

 

_

1 comment:

heather said...

CONGRATULATIONS ! Very exciting to have a showing of your work, even more so to have sold a photo =) Way To Go ! Good luck at your next event.