Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Ridgefield Wildlife Refuge

 

DSC_6308

Yesterday I came home from work and wanted to have some no-money fun, and we found some almost-no-money fun instead – we tossed the dogs in the van, picked up a dinner to-go, and headed out to the Ridgefield Wildlife Refuge. Because it’s a refuge the dogs had to stay in the car, so we did the driving loop. We saw many of the usual inhabitants…

 

DSC_6305

Ducks! (yes, I know there’s a proper name for these guys other than ‘ducks’)

 

DSC_6309

Lots of Red-wing blackbirds.

 

DSC_6316

Bunnies!

DSC_6315

A big white bird! It’s a Great Egret. First time I’ve seen one during our visits here.

 

DSC_6323

Pelicans!

DSC_6325

It was a beautiful afternoon.

 

DSC_6326

Way off in the distance, I saw something watching us.

 

DSC_6327

We continued along the waterway, hoping to see something exciting around every turn.

 

DSC_6330

Part of the meadow was mowed, and at the far end of it I saw something, but I couldn’t tell what until I zoomed in…

 

DSC_6328

A family of coyotes! Complete with pups! How exciting! That’s a first for our visits to the refuge. We hear coyotes all the time at home, and occasionally see them (and we suspect they ate our cat a few years ago), but I’m much happier to see them here, where they are free to be coyotes.

 

DSC_6335

Well, the afternoon wasn’t going to last forever. They close the gates at 9pm, so we had to keep moving.

 

DSC_6333

The sun slipped below the treeline, and cast a beautiful golden hue over the landscape.

 

DSC_6338

We headed back across Lake River, and felt like we’d had a little adventure. Just the thing I needed after a long day at work.

3 comments:

heather said...

Oh Steph, these are all fantastic photos !!! I could see some of them on calendars, Wow !

StefRobrts said...

You're too kind! In looking up what kind of birds those were, I went to the refuge's website, and saw really awesome pictures. Now I want a longer lens :D

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Oh wow! Such gorgeous photos!

I love how captured the water reflections, too.

No-money adventures are my favorite, too!

~Lisa