Saturday, May 19, 2012

Another day downtown

 

Downtown Portland, Oregon. Friday I decided to bring my camera to work (I don’t bring it often because I worry about it getting stolen) and take a few pictures during my morning walk at break time, and then after work on my way to the bus stop.

Thursday I DIDN’T take my camera, and when I went for my morning walk I was walking up the ramp of the Morrison bridge, when I realized the cars were all backed up. So I hurried up the ramp and the bridge was OPEN! Seeing a bridge open is the most amazing thing – the roadway went straight up into the sky, about four stories tall! Seeing it in person, on foot, was really amazing. It’s so different from seeing it from inside a car. In fact a lot of drivers had parked their cars and got out and walked up to the front to watch. By the time I got up there it was already slowly coming down, and people were returning to their cars. What an awesome thing to see!

So on Friday I was hoping I’d get lucky and see the bridge open again, but no such luck. However, they were preparing for The Rose Festival at Waterfront Park by installing some rides, including a ferris wheel, right next to the bridge.

DSC_6070

 

DSC_6089

It’s pretty unusual to have that sort of vantage point to view a ferris wheel!

 

DSC_6074

Looking towards downtown (well, it’s all downtown, but that’s where the tallest buildings are). See the building right in the middle, it’s short, and beige colored? That’s the Portland Building. We’ll get back to that shortly.

DSC_6085

This is a view of Old Town at the foot of the Morrison bridge. I work in the Postal Building, which is the one with all the blue billboards on it, with the red Dekum building rising up behind it.

 

DSC_6088

Got this shot of someone running along Waterfront Park, I love the shadow, but I wish that thing on the sidewalk hadn’t got in the shot. I don’t know what they call it, it’s one of those things they tie ships to when they dock at the waterfront. It’s almost Rose Festival time, and soon the Navy ships will be coming to town and docking here. That should be interesting. Anyway, I ran this through Picasa to give it a bit more interest with fading at the edge and a bit of grain.

 

DSC_6094

A gentleman stops to catch up on his phone in front of The Quest

 

DSC_6096

And now we’re approaching that funny looking Portland Building I mentioned earlier.

 

DSC_6116

Home of ‘Portlandia’ (the statue, not the TV show)

 

I was mighty impressed with Portlandia when they installed her in 1985 (I was in high school) and I’ve always thought the gaudy building was pretty cool too.

DSC_6111

She’s beautiful! And Big! Did I mention she was BIG?

 

DSC_6114

In fact she is the second biggest copper statue of her kind, the biggest being the Statue of Liberty! She’s kneeling down to reach out to us below, but if she stood up she’d be fifty feet tall!

Continuing towards the bus stop…

DSC_6090

Not a statue. Just a dude painted silver. Mr Statue, according to the web. Give him a buck and he’ll juggle. I hung around a little bit hoping to see someone interact with him, but people were doing a really good job of avoiding him. maybe next time I’m down there with my camera I’ll give him a buck.

 

DSC_6126

Not sure of the name of this one, I think it’s Reflections. The human figure creeps me out a bit…

DSC_6128

But the dog with his ear up is adorable. I think the paint is coming off his ear from so many people giving him a pat on the head. Who can resist?

 

DSC_6134

Quite an entrance on this building!

 

DSC_6136

Just look at those lamps! We just don’t put that kind of detail and workmanship into stuff anymore.

 

DSC_6104

Well, that was my little tour of downtown. I’ll take my camera again soon and see what else I can find.

 

_

2 comments:

heather said...

Thanks for sharing some of the sights around Portland taken through your lens - and taking the time to add comments =)

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Oh wow! I'm not much of a city person anymore, but I do truly enjoy seeing the interesting architecture and artwork/statues that cities always seem to have. Portland is beautiful in it's own way and seems to have a few unusual people and interesting buildings/artwork. Someday I hope to visit both Washington and Oregon. Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful photos. You captured some wonderful shots.


~Lisa