Friday, May 25, 2012

Android Programming

Today, everything came together, just the way I wanted it to!

I took the day off work so we could leave early for camping this weekend, but Dave found a temporary job and had to work today, and we really didn't have the money to spend on a trip, so we cancelled the camping trip - but I didn't cancel MY vacation day! Instead I got up early, intent on working towards my latest goal - learning to write android apps.

I have been wanting to do this for some time, but at first we didn't have ANY Android devices. At Christmas time we got Dave a nice Android phone, which actually saved us money because he can use it to charge credit cards for the toy business using Square, and was able to close our Merchant Account with the bank (which cost us money if we used it or not!) At the same time I got my Kindle Fire, which has made life so much more bearable with the long bus rides to work, plus I use it all day to listen to podcasts while I'm working, and drown out the noise of the people in the cubicles around me. So we actually have two Android devices I can work with now.

My first thought this morning was, it would be really handy to have a second monitor - one to program on, and one to have documentation open on and look stuff up. I'm spoiled by having two monitors at work! I told Dave it sure would be nice to add a small flatscreen to my system, and he said 'why don't you use the extra monitor?' - EXTRA MONITOR?!! I had completely forgotten we had an extra left over from when we closed the store! I whipped up a way to mount it on my desk next to my laptop, plugged it in, and it worked like a charm! The laptop was made to have a second monitor - no problem!


I couldn't have had it work any better! So while Dave was away working, I was playing with my Kindle. Here it is, my laptop and the bigger second monitor, and on the left, my Kindle, hooked up to the laptop and running a program I WROTE! What a kick in the pants! :) I used to love programming, but there's nothing like doing something for a living to take all the joy out of it. I could see this being fun again!

_

1 comment:

heather said...

Awesome ! You know I can't wait to hear all about it once you have the app done ;)