Saturday, February 25, 2012

A day at the beach

 

Last weekend Dave and I dropped the pooches off to spend the day with the other eskimos, and we headed for the beach. I would have liked to have taken the dogs, but Navi still gets car-sick, and a whole day of driving around would have just been cruel!

Our first stop was to swing by the Evergreen Aviation Museum in McMinneville, OR, because I had heard they had a 747 parked on top of a building.

 

DSC_5393

Yeah, that’s kind of hard to miss!

 

DSC_5385

What they’ve done is build an indoor waterpark next to the main museum, parked a 747 on top of it, and run the waterslide tubes through it. I have to admit, that’s a pretty awesome thing to do!

 

DSC_5394

We continued our trip to the beach, and it pretty much looked like this the whole way…

 

DSC_5421

But finally we got to the beach

 

DSC_5399

 

DSC_5428

It was windy, and stormy, and I had the ISO turned up too high on my camera (I forgot to check my manual settings) so all my pictures came our grainy Sad smile

 

DSC_5445

But I needed the high ISO when we went to the Newport Aquarium. They have one of those tanks where you walk through tubes underwater. Love it!

 

DSC_5466

My favorite exhibit is the jellyfish. I wish I could have an aquarium of jellyfish. They may not be as interactive or personable as fish, but they sure are relaxing to watch. I’m sure they’re very tricky to care for.

 

DSC_5469

DSC_5474

DSC_5479

Oregon Sunshine, huh?Smile Perhaps it’s more uplifting in summer!

 

DSC_5481

On the walk back to the parking lot there’s a lovely view across the estuary.

 

DSC_5487

We headed down to the waterfront to see the sea lions, but there were only these two lounging on the dock.

DSC_5489

Sleeeeeepy…

DSC_5490

And this guy sitting way out on a rocky outcrop in the harbor

 

DSC_5484

We had our usual lunch at the Chowder Bowl, to-go, and ate it in the car parked at the beach overlook so we could enjoy the view. Then we headed home. It was a lovely, refreshing, rainy day in Newport, Oregon!

1 comment:

heather said...

AWESOME airplane/waterpark conglomeration!!!!!! LOVE the photos, even those you thought were too grainy. Thanks for sharing =) Happy Leap Day!