Monday, December 05, 2011

Good News at last!

Finally, something good to say! I have to say I've been feeling a bit depressed lately, as our financial situation was getting worse and worse, and I sent out resume after resume (my goal was to send out at least one resume a day to something I reasonably thought I could do - even if it was minimum wage) either to hear nothing back, or to get an interview that went nowhere - and I've been doing this since the beginning of the year. Our lives are suffering from deferred maintenance in nearly every way, from a leak in the porch cover roof, to the shredded canopy over the trailer, to our own needs we can't afford to meet - like simple trips to the dentist or annual exams. In fact we've been lucky just to afford gas and food to keep ourselves going. Starting three years ago when we had to cut back by giving away the sheep and goats, and then clearing out my fish room to save on the electricity and water, to giving up the chickens this year and finally giving Jack away, we have been tightening our belts tighter and tighter, and eventually there's no more room to tighten. We have hung onto the trailer all this time in case we end up needing to live in it with our dogs and cats, since I'm sure no one would rent to us and our remaining menagerie, and I would rather live in a trailer with my dogs than give them up. When you've given up all you can stand, you have to draw the line.

So I'm relieved to say that Friday I got the call I needed. It started Tuesday with a call from a company I had applied to in Portland. She gave me a quick interview on the phone, which I stumbled through like an idiot, answering simple interview questions like 'what would you like to be doing in 5 years' - to which I drew a blank, because all I could think in my stressed out state was 'working'! When I got off the phone I thought, well, I blew that opportunity, but later that afternoon she emailed me to come in for an in-person interview on Wednesday. Wednesday I went in and met a guy who questioned me about my experience, and this guy was pretty IT savvy, so I felt comfortable, I was more in my zone. I thought that went well, and he invited me back for another interview Friday with the head of the department I'd be working in. So I came back on Friday and had an interview with the first guy, the department head and the president of the company, and then we moved to the HR/operations supervisor and talked to her for a bit. It took an hour and a half, and I was almost afraid to get my hopes up. Everyone seemed really nice and the company sounded great, stable, the job itself sounded interesting and right up my alley - a combination of design and testing and troubleshooting, and these are some of my favorite things when it comes to software. So they said they'd call and let me know one way or the other that day.

So I went home and moped around the house the rest of the day, waiting for the phone call, afraid to so much as walk out to the garage for fear of missing it. Finally 5pm came and went, and I thought that was it, I'm not going to hear back from them today. Then 6pm passed on by, and I really figured it was over. So by then I'd settled down on the couch to catch up on some CraigyFerg, when the phone rang, and it was my new boss telling me I'd got the job! They were worried I'd get burnt out on the commute, but I have no problem with it. There's an express bus that goes downtown from the North end of Vancouver,and drops off just a couple blocks from work - it doesn't get much easier than that

I'm oh so happy to finally have someone give me a chance! Ten years ago I left my last computer job on friendly terms, and came home to work on our toy business and our little farm. I had a chance to try out my dreams of having a CSA and raising chickens - and now I know all sorts of reasons for why it really doesn't work in our situation. I'm ready to go back to a stable job, where I can use my software skills I spent all those years building up. And this job even wants people to telecommute once they get the hang of the job, so maybe I won't be spending all my time downtown. I think it's the perfect job for me. I can't wait to finish jumping through the hoops to get started.


_

4 comments:

Goofy said...

I'm so happy for you!!! And just in the nick of time. I hope it works out for you and it's a job you absolutely LOVE!!!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I had no idea you had been going through such tough times. I'm so sorry.
But...WOW! What an awesome Christmas Gift! A great job! A good commute! The possibility to Telecommute! And doing something you love!

Hooray!
I'm so happy for you!
~Lisa

dotoner said...

Super excited for you guys!!!

Jordynn.Reese said...

I am new to this, and I came across your blog. I am so glad this happened for you. This made me smile and gave me hope. Thank you for this. I know we know nothing of each other, but I know You are amazing and I am so happy and proud of you! Congrats. I cannot wait to see what more is to come.