Saturday, December 31, 2011

Downtown

 

Part 2 of my ‘where I work’ post will include: where I work!

IMG_0281

This is the historic Postal Building in downtown Portland. Built in 1901, it is on the register of historic places.

IMG_0292

It is a lovely building. The offices are all around the outside of the building, and there is a big open atrium in the middle, with a glass skylight in the roof and an elevator in the middle. I try to take the stairs whenever I can for extra exercise!

Our breakroom has a view across the street, where we can watch the goings-on at the offices in the Dekum, another historic building (1891) with a really neat exterior with lots of carved details.

IMG_0289

 

We can also see creepy Santa from there, he’s motion activated and turns his head to follow people, and dances.

IMG_0287

Luckily creepy Santa retired after Christmas!

 

IMG_0300

When I get off work it’s dark out, but it’s in a pretty populated part of town, so it feels pretty safe. I only have to walk 3 blocks to catch my bus.

 

IMG_0301

I walk by this neat gearhead bar with a cool old Indian bike in the window.

 

IMG_0303

I was catching the bus for two weeks before I turned around and noticed this was next to the bus stop – uh oh, hold on to your wallets!

That’s the total of my adventure so far. I have been hit up by panhandlers a lot, and the only problem came when an aggressive panhandling lady asked me for change from behind me (at first I didn’t even think she was talking to me), and I wasn’t going to turn around and acknowledge her, so I just kept walking, and instead of going after someone else she followed me for a block and a half! I pretended to be deaf, while she was shouting obscenities at me. Luckily she went away finally, I never even saw what she looked like, she was behind me the whole time. I hate situations like that, but it hasn’t happened again. I guess I just need to stay alert and try to walk with the other commuters. When I get off the bus I just try to go the direction the majority of people go and head to work. It’s only two blocks, so how much trouble could I have?

I want to take my camera back soon when we have a nice day of weather, and go out at lunchtime and take pictures. The entire area around my office is historic building, including an historic carriage house building, which I see from the bus. I want to walk over and get a closer look at it sometime.

_

2 comments:

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Creepy Santa rides a 3-wheeler bike, too?! What an odd thing to have out front of that building. lol!

What beautiful old buildings. I do enjoy some of the old architecture. How lucky you are to work in such a neat old building, old on the outside and so modern on the inside.

You'll have to tell us all about Camera World when you go in to explore. hehe!

~Lisa

heather said...

Thanks for sharing the photos of your new home away from home. I bet there is some neat memorabilia in that bar! I sure hope nothing like that happens again with the panhandlers.