Saturday, August 13, 2011

First canning session of the year

I pulled out the turkey fryer (electric water-bath canner) and got ready for a marathon canning session today. I found a bucket of pickles out in the garden!


Some were really big, and some were just in the 3-4 inch size. I decided to slice up the little ones into spears for dills, and slice up the big ones into chips for sweet pickles.

8 pints of quick pack kosher dills...


And 8 pints of sweet pickle chips - yum! I was down to just one jar left from last year, so the timing was perfect!


Then we went to visit a friend who has a blueberry farm! We all chatted and picked a bush clean, and came back with a bucket-full of delicious blueberries. 12 quarts! I cleaned some and put them in the freezer, and more went in the fridge, and then I mashed some up for jam.


This may have been the most work I did all day!


 Ah, the fruits of my labor - filling the pantry until next season!

_




No comments: