Sunday, July 17, 2011

Portrait Studio

A friend who is involved with a local pit bull rescue, Diamond Cut Loyalty, invited me to come to a fundraiser they are having next weekend and take pictures for donations. So of course I said yes, because it's a good cause and they are good people, and I LOVE to take pictures. However, I don't have any proper portrait studio equipment, so I had to get something set up.

So I went to the fabric store and bought some neutral looking material. When I got it home I cut it and sewed it into one big piece. While measuring and cutting I had some 'help'...

Thanks, guys!

I also went by Home Depot and got a couple clamp lights and some fluorescent 'daylight' bulbs. I wanted light I could leave on, but that wouldn't get too hot.






This one is a single bulb for lighting up the backdrop.












This one has a splitter so there are two bulbs in it, for lighting up the subject.





And all together it looks like this:


And with the lights on and a willing participant (with the help of cookies), it looks like this:


And the first test shots look like this:





Couldn't get Barclay to hold still!


I'm happy with the results so far, I just need to experiment more with positioning the light to see what works best, and I think moving the stool out farther from the backdrop so it will be a bit more out of focus. But a good start.

Update: A few more shots





_

2 comments:

heather said...

What a neat setup and fabulous photos ! Anxious to see more. Good luck and have fun

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Very clever and wonderful idea! The photos of Jack crack me up. His personality shine through.
I've been catching up on your blog, so I've seen the more recent posts first and I think I like the blue background better. It really makes the light colored dogs show up better and you can't see the wrinkles or creases in the fabric, like you can with the white background.

PS, Good luck this weekend and I hope you have fun with your dog photography job.

~Lisa