Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Chickies 2011!

It's chick season!


Today I picked up 15 little peepers from the feed store. Buff Orpingtons, my favorite :) Since the weather is so cold, I decided to start the little guys in a rubbermaid tub in the house. Once they've got a good start I'll move them out to the big brooder in the shed. As cold as it is, if the heat went out they would freeze - but inside they'll be safe.


Cute little guys! The dogs are going nuts because they can hear the peeping, but they are in the packing room so the dogs can't go in and bother them. The grate over the top protects them from curious cats.

_

4 comments:

"Lois Grebowski" said...

sweet peepy chicks! I bet the cats are going crazy, too!

heather said...

I can imagine what it must be like in your house right now !

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Awwww! You got biddies! I'm so excited for you!
We've been having very warm temps this Winter/Spring, in fact it was sunny and 73F today, but the feed stores won't be selling chicks until mid April. I'm thinking of ordering mine directly from an online hatchery this year, because I want to raise some to sale as pullets later, and I want some more color in my flock.

~Lisa

StefRobrts said...

Gee, Lisa, I wonder why they wait until so late in teh spring to get them in? Ours started getting them in before this, i just wanted to wait until it was convenient for us to have the little peepers around. They are SO CUTE!