Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Stickin' to the plan

I am sticking with my weight loss plan, and actually enjoying using the SparkPeople website to track my food and exercise. I get good feedback from it everyday, and it really makes me think about what I'm eating. If I'm thinking of having a snack, I can look at my page and see how I've done so far, and if I have the calories to spend, and I really think about if I want to spend them that way.

I'm also working out walking on the treadmill nearly every evening, and doing strength training every other day. I'm trying to work in other exercise too. Yesterday Dave and I went to the park and he jogged while I rode my bike alongside. The bike was going faster than him though, so eventually I parked it and just walked fast while he jogged the loop. I love riding my bike, I can't wait to get it out again. When I was a kid my bike was always a substitute for having a horse - blasting along with the wind in my hair. I love that feeling - and it's darned good exercise for the legs!

This still feels different from previous attempts to lose weight which were half-hearted at best. I feel very devoted to this, and I feel encouraged and optimistic that it is going to work. I lost 5lb the first two weeks. I stalled last week though when I hurt my back - skipping! I felt so good I went skipping down the hall just to see if I could and pulled something in my back! That'll curb your enthusiasm quick! I'll leave skipping to te children from now on! After a couple days rest I am back to my workout routine and hopeful I'll see some more progress on the scale next Monday.

A friend who is also on this journey asked if I'd like to join her for a 5K walk, so I said yes.So in March I'll be doing my first 5K walk - it's only 3 miles, I walk half that on the treadmill every night. Should be interesting.

_

1 comment:

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

lol! Yeah, skipping is a little abrasive to our older bodies. :D

I'm glad you're having success with your health and weight loss.
I, too, used to love my bike as a young girl....flying like the wind!
I rode it until just after my twins were born over 13 years ago. Once they didn't fit inside the toddler seats anymore, I kind of gave it up.
Around here there are plently of places to ride a mountain bike, but nowhere to ride a road bike, unless I drive 30 minutes into Albuquerque. And by that time I lose my momentum and decide to stop off for some ice cream instead. lol!

~Lisa