Thursday, December 30, 2010

Another hawk attack

This time the hawk got a crow! I saw the dogs out in the drainfield sniffing and poking at some dark lump, at first I thought it was just a molehill, but they looked confused by it. I went out to investigate and found a freshly killed crow! Poor thing was beautiful, crows are such lovely, jet black birds. I think the dogs must have chased the hawk away. I took the body away and closed the chickens up in the coop (they were all inside anyway, they must have seen the hawk too). I'll leave them locked up for a day or two and see if the hawk goes elsewhere. Otherwise I mighthave to see about making a run for the chickens. Seems like we only have hawk problems in the dead of winter when the hawks are getting more creative.

_

2 comments:

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Poor crow. We don't have too many crows around here, but we have flocks and pairs of ravens. Hawks won't mess with them because they are usually the same size as hawks and often even bigger.

Sure hope your chickens stay safe from becoming a hawk dinner.

~Lisa

StefRobrts said...

Unfortunately the big red tail hawks are big enough to pose a danger to the chickens, and the comparatively little crow didn't have a chance. I'm thinking I'll need to build a run like yours for the winter, then in the summer they can come and go as they please.