Monday, November 01, 2010

Chicken chasing

I've been home sick all weekend with a nasty head cold/sinus thing - yuk!

This evening I woke up after a long afternoon nap and decided to go out and check on the chickens and count to make sure they were all still there (Dave has been feeding them while I was sick). Everyone was there, and I checked the nest box and they'd even left an egg! So I reached in to get the egg and Navi slipped by me and ran into the coop, and one of the young hens got scared and jumped off the perch and she started running around in circles, flapping and sqwaking, while Navi chased her around and around the coop trying to pounce on her. The hen finally made for the door into the shed and blasted past me, and on the way by I caught Navi and tucked her under my arm.

Unfortunately for the hen, Jack and Barclay were in the shed, and they immediately chased the poor little hen out into the darkness and rain. I hauled Navi up to the house and tossed her inside and grabbed the flashlight, and went back out. In the dark I could just make out Barclay down by the lilac bush, poking something with his foot. I went down, expecting to see a dead chicken, and there was the hen, huddled under the bush, wet and miserable. Barclay didn't want to catch her, or he easily could have, he just wanted to make her run some more so he could chase her! I picked her up and took her back to the coop and checked her over in the light. She looked fine, just scared. So I put her back in the coop, counted everyone one last time, and went back inside. Too much excitement for one evening - I should have stayed in bed!

_

2 comments:

annaliese said...

LOL! sorry you have not been feeling well, but glad you posted about this--one of those moments you'll look back on and laugh ;) hope you get well soon!!!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Poor little hen. Yep, should have just stayed in bed. lol!

Feel better soon. That bug you've got must be traveling around. I've been sick since Monday last week. bleh!


~Lisa