Thursday, August 05, 2010

Chick update plus a BAT!

The baby chicks are doing fine, even in the hot weather. Everyone is eating and drinking and hopping around.

So cute! Let's hope for hens!

The main flock was enjoying some treats.

When I noticed that one of my black hens appears to be a rooster. It was the gangly look that caught my eye. That means that out of those 6 chicks, I got three roos - and I only need one.

It was hot so I let Navi have some sprinkler time

She loves it!

Some of the sprinkler was hitting the water trough, and I thought it made for a pretty picture.

Ok, you probably want to know about the bat. I saw Navi sniffing something on the ground, and then backing away like she didn't like it. So I went to see what it was, and it was a dead bat! Eww! I picked it up and set it on the fencepost and took a picture before tossing it off into the brambles. That's a 4x4 inch post, so you can see how tiny it is. Like a mouse with wings.


Excuse the picture of a dead critter, but I think it's just so interesting to see one up close.


Giant ears for picking up sonar. What an interesting animal. Still, I'm glad the dogs didn't eat it - that's why everyone has their shots!

3 comments:

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Ewwwwwwwwww! The dead bat is just too creepy. I like bats...but alive...and eating insects only. bleh!

Navi in the water is cute...and the water photo if cool! Nice job!

Boo to more roos! Chicken casserole?

~Lisa

annaliese said...

oooh! the dead bat is quite interesting! the bats at the zoo are one of my favorite exhibits. very cool creatures :)

Amy Manning said...

cool! wish I had some bats to eat the mosquitoes around here!