Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Scythe

I got a new toy, I found a scythe on CL for $25. I've always wanted to try one.


I used it to clear an area of tall grass out at the edge of the yard. From where I'm standing taking the picture to the bush, and about ten foot wide - the grass was knee-high. You can see the pile of grass I cut up.


The scythe is an interesting tool. It's still used in Europe for cutting grass, and the European models are supposed to be much nicer, lighter, and more efficient than the American version. Mine is heavy and clunky, the handle alone is a 3 inch round piece of heavy wood. It's tiring on the arms. The European models have aluminum handles for light weight, and long razor-sharp blades. I am having trouble finding a place to buy a whetstone to sharpen my blade with. When I called the garden center the guy took a second to even figure out what a scythe was! So it looks like I'll be ordering something off the net.

Best of all it never runs out of gas on you and strands you at the farthest point from the house, like lawnmowers occasionally do...

3 comments:

Goofy said...

OOOO!!! Maybe I should get one of those! Let me know if you find a good lightweight one. And too bad I didn't grab a few whetstones from my father-in-law's. He had 7 or 8 of them scattered throughout the house.

annaliese said...

how very 'grim reaper' of you ;)

StefRobrts said...

Recommended by Grim Reapers everywhere...