Monday, June 21, 2010

Nigerian Email Scam

I got an email scam today


How's everything on your end? This has had to come in a hurry and it has left me in a devastating state. I travelled to Wales for a volunteer Training Program (UTP), and unfortunately for me all my money was stolen at the hotel where I lodged by robbers. The Embassy only cleared me of my travelling documents and ticketing since I came in on unofficial purposes. I didn't bring my phones here and the hotel telephone lines were disconnected during the robbery incident,so I have access to only emails.

Please can you lend me £1160 ($1,750 USD for me to relocate to another hotel and also get another flight ticket. As soon as I get home I would refund it immediately.
I am looking forward to hearing from you.
 
Oh how terrible, my poor friend is trapped in Wales, and the robbers have cut the phone lines at her hotel and so there is nothing but email access. Thank goodness their didn't cut her broadband connection! Though I suspect if the hotel's phone was out, there would probably be another phone somewhere. After all, it's not like Wales is some undeveloped country, they do have cities there - in Fact Dr Who is almost entirely filmed in Wales! but ok. Oh, wait a minute, I don't know anyone who's visiting Wales. Most telling, if it was someone who knew me, they'd know I wouldn't have $1700 to send to anybody (as if)!
The slightly creepy part is that it was signed and had a somewhat local address, which makes me wonder if it was actually targetted somehow, though it didn't have my name on it. The funniest part is that I found the originating IP address on the email header, and it went right back to Nigeria. I know some people have been acting like it's unfair to refer to these email scams as 'Nigerian Scams', but there you go, the IP address is pointing right there. Hard to deny it is indeed a Nigerian behind it.


2 comments:

"Lois Grebowski" said...

When I was working for the big healthcare company, one of those Nigerian scams hit my inbox. I replied back telling them I'm going to hold a company-wide bake sale to raise money on their behalf...

believe it or not, I got a reply telling me to act fast!

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahaa!

StefRobrts said...

Ha ha ha! That's excellent! Well, they never know, might get a few bucks out of you - they're eternally hopefull :)