Saturday, May 22, 2010

The Dehydrator

I am taking a class about food preservation, and a couple weeks ago we learned about dehydrators. I got to bring the class dehydrator home to finish our lab assignment, and I loved it! I have never cared much for the dehydrated fruits you get from the store, but these were fresh and crisp but not so hard you'll break a tooth. The pineapple came out like natural candy! So I wanted one bad!

This week I easily sold all my pullets (baby chickens), and actually made a profit (miracle of miracles) so I felt like I could splurge and a get a dehydrator, tah dah!


It's really simple, just a fan and a heating element, so it blows warm air over the food trays and dries stuff out. It can be used for fruits, veg, jerky, herbs, or even drying flowers for crafts.


I did some apples and bananas, then tried peppers and pineapple. The pineapple is ridiculously good. The peppers come out crunchy and sweet - I'm going to try sprinkling them on a pasta dish.


I suppose it could be used to make dog treats!

I'm enjoying learning how to use it! It's really going to be nice to have this summer and fall when I have too much produce from the garden, or too much fruit from the orchard. Last year I had to let a lot of pears and stuff go to the chickens because I didn't know what to do with it all. And the herbs that went to waste at the end of the year when the plants started dying down? Into the dehydrator! I think this is going to be a very useful addition to my kitchen/garden.


2 comments:

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

How awesome! I wonder if peaches can be dehydrated well?
You could do like we did last summer and sell your excess, too. I made over a hundred dollars from selling my peaches and about $50 from selling my apples.
The money is so nice, but I'd love to be able to have enough fruit and preserves this next year to last throughout the entire winter. There is nothing like the taste of a fresh peach when it's snowing outside. hehe!


~Lisa

StefRobrts said...

Your peaches were beautiful! My apples and pear were a little dinky, and they had some spots because we don't spray. I didn't think anyone would want to buy them - but I certainly would have liked to kept them myself.

I'll bet the peaches would dehydrate fine, but they'd be even better as preserves. Just think of a big juicy cobbler from your own peaches in the middle of winter - yum!