Sunday, May 23, 2010

Broody hen #2

I had my black hen go broody, so I saved up a dozen eggs to stick under her, and moved her to the chicken tractor with the eggs in a crate. This worked fine last year, and she sat and raised her chicks in the tractor, but this year, she didn't like being out in the tractor, and decided not to be broody anymore!

So with a dozen eggs I didn't want to waste, I started looking for an incubator. I had several people offer me one, but then I thought to ask Martha if she happened to have a broody hen, and she did! She said she was stealing eggs out from under her every day (broody hens are kind of annoying if you don't want them to raise chicks for you). So I went over to try and catch her, and she got away. The next day Martha caught her and put her in a crate, then I came over and we put her in a smaller crate, then I took her home. Martha said she's moved broody hens before, but never across the county! So we didn't know if this would work. I put her in the brooder box with the crate full of eggs, food and water, and left her there to relax.

The first night she spent sleeping outside the crate, and I was thinking this wasn't going to work. This morning I went in to check on her and she was sitting on the eggs! Yay! There's no better incubator than a mama hen! I hope she settles down in there and keeps sitting. I'll keep it quiet and try not to disturb her. 21 days to more chicks (I hope)!

3 comments:

"Lois Grebowski" said...

Keep us posted on the progress...

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Fingers crossed!

My broody hen is raising her 3 chicks now...and has become fiercely protective, too. Thank goodness she has no spurs!


~Lisa

StefRobrts said...

Once you've been attacked by a rooster, you look at your chickens a little differently! Hope your arm is healing up fine!