Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Good exercise

I am still working on removing the OLD compost pile. I removed all the sticks from it which still need to break down more, and then built a second compost area next to the current one.

I threw the sticks on the bottom and then turned over the compost in the current pile into the new pile. The compost should finish breaking down those sticks, and should finish breaking down the stuff that wasn't done yet in the pile.

The compost looks really good - like dark soil. It was sure good exercise turning it over though! I think I need a nap now!

2 comments:

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Great job! Looks like black gold!

Are those pallets you used for building the compost bin? Very clever!


~Lisa

StefRobrts said...

Yup, they're readily available, and work really well. They let lots of air get to the compost, but keep the dogs out. They look a little crappy, but I'm not trying to impress anyone with my pretty compost pile :)