Saturday, March 06, 2010

Shellless Egg

 

 

One of the girls laid a shellless egg! It is just a membrane, no shell. What a weird thing to hold. It's all squishy! I don't think it's anything to worry about though, I've read that hens occasionally lay one, especially if they are just starting laying, and I have a couple young hens that certainly could be just getting started. Plus it was laid in a nest they don't usually use, so it must have been one of the girls still figuring out how it's done.


 
 The dogs still enjoyed it!

2 comments:

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

lol! The dogs slurped that bad boy right up! hehe!

We've had several of those 'fart eggs', too. Some people believe it's due to calcium deficiences, but it's not. It's just the new layers just getting their egg laying parts working normally.

They sure are freaky, though.

~Lisa

StefRobrts said...

That's a good name for them :D

I won't worry unless I start seeing a lot of them.