Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Chicks arrive, cozy in their new home.


Today I brought home 20 chicks - 10 Buff Orpingtons, and 10 feather-footed cochins. I can't wait to see what the cochins grow into, they are partridge colored, red, white and buff, and maybe a black or blue in there too. They were still unloading chicks from the packing crates when I got to the feed store this morning, so they packed mine right up in a little box and I brought them straight home to their brooder box which was all warmed up and outfitted with food and water.


I started out using my waterer I used for the chicks last year, but they ended up hopping right into it, so I switched to this chicken-waterer that has just a shallow trough so no one will get their butt wet standing in it.


There are two little guys like this, I think they are the partridge colored cochins. I know they're cochins, look at all the feathers on her legs.


Warm, fed, and dozing under the heat lamp. Happy chicks!


3 comments:

"Lois Grebowski" said...

I can hear them go "cheep, cheep, cheep".... too cute!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Awwwww! You're making me want to go to the feed store and get a few more chicks.
Well, I did rehome my two roosters....hmmmmm. lol!

Congrats on your new chickies. I hope you will update as they grow. I can't wait to see how the feathery legged chicks look as adults. :)


~Lisa

StefRobrts said...

In some ways I miss letting mama hen do all the work, and watching her walking around outside with a group of fluffy chicks following her, but in another way this is fun because I get to handle the chicks more. You might have to go get some chickies :)