Sunday, March 28, 2010

Chicks -2010

Wednesday I will be picking up 20 chicks from the feed store - 10 buff o's and 10 assorted color cochins - red, black and buff. Hopefully someone will go broody and I'll get some chicks from my own hens as well this year, but because the feed store chicks are sexed, I thought this would be a nice way to go. Not so many roosters to deal with. Also I want to handle them more and make them friendly, not stand-offish like my mama-raised birds. I plan to keep the ones I like and sell the other one's to be urban egg layers, since city-folk love having tame chickens, but not everyone has the facilities to raise their own chicks.




I set up a 4 x 4ft brooder box in the chicken shed, with a heat lamp hanging from the ceiling on a chain, and food and water inside. The floor is covered in vinyl to protect it, and that is covered in wood chips. This same system worked great for the turkey chicks last year. Now I just need a cover to keep the cat out.

5 comments:

"Lois Grebowski" said...

I saw chicks at Tractor Supply last week and thought of you. The kids aren't ready for chicks yet. They're starting off with bees.

So I guess I can get my chicken fix trhough you!

StefRobrts said...

I'll be sure and post lots of cute chicky pictures for you :)

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Looking good! Chicks are so fun!
Now you're making me want to pick a few up from the feed store. I see the sign everytime I pass by. lol!
I saw on another blog that they used pebbles in the water so that the chicks don't fall into the water bowl and drown. I've never had that problem, but they said they did. I guess it wouldn't urt to try it. I might do that next time.

For the cover on our indoor brooder I just slung a large piece of chicken wire over the top. But you're much more creative and skilled with building than I am :)

~Lisa

Alison said...

Hey Stef,
I've had so much fun reading your blog! You make me want chicks again! I LOVE Buff O's, going to try to talk Jeff into them again this year. Any recommendation on purchasing a coop?
Alison

StefRobrts said...

What kind of coop you want depends on how secure your chickens are going to be. I think a nice design for a small yard is a 'chicken tractor'. They look nice and you can move them around, and the hens can either stay inside where they are safe, or they can come out and free-range around the yard. Our coop is built into our garden shed. There are tons of ideas on the web, once you start looking you'll get all sorts of ideas!