Monday, February 22, 2010

Garden 2010


For the last year or so the paddock area has only been used as a pathway to take the dogs out into the pasture to play fetch, and I have set a little table and chairs under the shelter and I like to sit out there and read and watch the dogs play and watch the world go by.  I decided it was time to make some changes. Since I don't anticipate having livestock again anytime soon, I rearranged the shelter. 

 

I removed the boards off the pasture side, and put them on the paddock side.

 

So now the shelter is open to the pasture. Which leaves the paddock area shut off from the pasture, except for the gated entrances. So that area will be my garden this year, and if all goes well for the next few years.




It's kind of a grassy weedy mess right now, but it was well fertilized by the llamas and sheep so I'm interested to see how this works out. I think I will have better luck planting directly in the ground than I have had in previous years planting in pots or doing an intensive garden. I plan to give my plants lots of room this year.



It doesn't look like much to write home about, but the turned over area along the fence is my row of peas. I planted them there so they could climb up the fence without having to add extra support for them. 
Luckily it's still early in the season, so I have time to get the rest of the area in order. I'm planning to just work up rows where I need them, and kill the grass in the pathways and put down bark chips to walk on. I'm going to use organic fertilizer where needed. I'm hoping to get a good winter crop in this year as well so we can have Brussels Sprouts and Broccoli and Chard, and, using a cold frame, lettuce and spinach all winter. We'll see how that goes. Big plans for someone who can barely produce a few tomatoes every summer!




I opened a section of fence from the main yard into the pasture for doggie access. It's funny how this makes the front yard feel completely different! Look how happy Barclay is to fetch a ball out of the pasture :) I'm going to put a metal gate there so I can still have control over their access. Otherwise they can be real pests about going out in the pasture and barking at the neighbors.

2 comments:

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

How exciting! I am wanting to grow a garden this year, too. I don;t know what will happen, though because our growing season is so short up here and the ground so rocky. I'll probably have to do raised beds.

Is that train tracks at the bottom of the hill? Can you hear the sound of the train as it goes by?
At our previous house we could hear the distant sound of a train and I really liked it.


~Lisa

StefRobrts said...

It is a train track, but it's unused. North of us it is used for a tourist train in the summer, but it doesn't come this far south. They are planning to turn it into a walkway/bike path/riding trail to connect from the lake to town. If they do that someday I'll be able to ride my bike to town, which would be cool!