Saturday, February 20, 2010

Chickens in the sun

 

We've had a couple beautiful sunny days! Yesterday I secured the fence to the backyard so Barclay couldn't squeeze through it anymore, and decided it would be nice to let the chickens out to peck around in the lush grass back there - their chicken pen is looking pretty picked over.

 
So I threw out a few handfuls of scratch and opened the service side of the coop and let them come out through the shed. The roosters were on patrol the whole time. 




I was watching from the other side of the fence, taking pictures. I didn't want to disturb them, and I didn't want to get sneak-attacked by a rooster while I was busy looking through the camera :) Then a funny thing happened. Big Blue was watching me closely. Then he waddled down towards the shed and made a funny noise, and the other rooster, Copper, ran down and joined him. They appeared to have a conference, clucking at each other, then Big Blue called the girls and everyone went back to the shed and he took them through the coop and back out to the regular chicken yard! Even though there was still scratch on the ground! I guess he decided the new area was too scary, especially with me hanging around staring! 

Chickens are so amazing!



While I was taking pictures of the chickens this guy kept flitting around. I think it's some kind of Oriole. I see a lot of them, but he's the first one I've noticed this season. 




4 comments:

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

That bird is gorgeous! Nice capture.
Glad you're having some sunny warmer weather. It's a blizzard here today...snowing and blowing!

I love to observe chickens and how they communicate with each other, too.


~Lisa

Goofy said...

What an awesome photo!! I saw one of those a couple weeks ago. I didn't get a photo, so wasn't sure what I had seen, but it looked similar to yours.

Found this:
http://identify.whatbird.com/obj/102/_/Spotted_Towhee.aspx

StefRobrts said...

Heidi, I think you're right with the Spotted Towhee. What a funny name!

Lisa, I'm so glad we're getting a mild winter - hope you thaw out soon so you can get back to test driving your new pony!

Mer said...

Yes, that is definitely a Towhee. My parents have them in their backyard pretty frequently. Aren't they pretty? :)