Friday, January 22, 2010

A good recall




After two years of working on 'come', Barclay has really been doing well at it, even coming back in the house when he'd rather stay out and play - which I try to make very rewarding for him. Today at dusk we were out in the pasture, and I was sitting under the cover taking pictures of the rain running off the roof, and Barclay and Jack were way out at the other end of the field in the rain. I called Barclay, twice because it was raining so hard, and he perked up and heard me, turned to see where I was, and then RAN back to me at TOP SPEED! He was probably 200 ft away sniffing around with Jack, and he dropped everything and came running back - I was so proud of him! And of course I didn't have any treats, so we played for a bit instead, which made him very happy - he'd rather play than have treats anyway :)

2 comments:

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Yay! Barclay! That's great!
Can he teach our GSD Zuni to always come when called, too? hehe!


~Lisa

StefRobrts said...

I wish there was a secret - I don't think there's anything harder than getting an animal to voluntarily come to you when there's a million other things they'd rather be doing!