Sunday, September 20, 2009

Barclay and the limp

This morning we were outside playing, and Barclay was at one end of the yard when he spotted one of the cats coming through the gate at the other end. He paused a second and then charged across the yard at full speed. I was sitting in the middle, on the deck, and looked over at the cat to see what she was going to do, when I heard a crash, and looked back and Barclay was still running at top speed, but he had obviously run into the plastic lounge chair! I don't know if he tried to jump over it, or just had his eye on the cat and ran into it. Either way he made it about twenty feet past the chair and suddenly stopped with a concerned look on his face, and turned around and limped back towards the middle of the yard.

I went over to him and asked him how he was, and he looked at me and flopped over on his side and held up his paw for inspection. I looked it over and it seemed ok, but he just kept laying there, looking at me through one eye. It always cracks me up when puppies first discover they aren't invincible and something hurts them! He just laid there on his side and I said 'well, how about we go inside?' and after a minute he sat up with this 'I guess so' sort of look, and limped inside and flopped over in the hallway.

I had to go to work, but I came back and picked him up later and he was back to his usual self, no limp at all (as I suspected). Poor little guy didn't even know he COULD get hurt! I'm sure he'll forget and be charging around the yard with a complete disregard for his own safety again in no time.

3 comments:

Goofy said...

Welcome to parenthood! It's the exact same way with children, most notably BOYS.

Mer said...

Too funny! Glad there was no permanent damage done. :)

Great picture, btw.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

It's tough when we get older and realize we can't do the same things we used to.

Ooops, I think I was talking about us humans, not about Barclay! hehe!

~Lisa

ps: re: your comment with link for me.....Oh yes! I certainly did enjoy it! How fun was that?! A Keiger Mustang hanging out by the campfire. Awesome! I also scrolled down to post #80 where the photos were posted. Wow! Thanks for sharing it!

I hope you'll be able to go next year Stef!

~Lisa