Saturday, August 15, 2009

The runt of the litter

I let Big Red and her chicks out of the chicken tractor today. It was getting a bit crowded in there, and I didn't want them standing around in their own poop. They were happy to get out and explore again.


This little guy is the runt of the litter (or 'clutch', since they're birds). Notice he's fallen behind while the others have gotten bigger and started getting feathers. He was always small though, I noticed it even when they were tiny.


We'll see how the little guy does.


The other hen has just about given up 'mothering' her chicks - they are almost as big as her!

My favorite is baby Penny


or Baby Big Bird, the little Roo



You can tell the baby roos because they are getting the red comb and wattles on their head, and their tails look different, while the girls have almost no wattles at all. Though as you can see from the adult hens, they do eventually have combs, just not as spectacular as the roosters.

4 comments:

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

These are buff orpingtons right? They sure are pretty. I don't know why I didn't choose some when I ordered my flock. I hope the little guy does well and catches up with the other ones.

~Lisa

ps Thanks for your comments about my RIR hen. What you said made sense and meant a lot to me.

~Lisa

StefRobrts said...

Yes, buff orpingtons, so the biggest chicks are all Buff O or buff cochin. Big Red and her sister, the black mama hen are americauna x game hen, I think. So the smallest chicks are all Big Red's crossed with Big Bird the late great Buff O rooster, so it will be interesting to see how they turn out.

I have those two blue cochin boys still, and I'm curious if I keep them to see what next years batches of chicks come out looking like. I figure there's no harm in creating mutts as long as they still lay eggs :) I'm am endlessly fascinated by the chcikens!

Lois Grebowski said...

Your chicken stories just fascinate me. I guess it's the city girl in me...

Keep em coming...

StefRobrts said...

Thanks, Lois :) You know, I read that you shouldn't try to 'farm' any animals that you don't genuinely like, because you need to like them to make up for all the work. I find I DO genuinely enjoy the chickens - so they are fun to share :)