Friday, August 14, 2009

Etouffee!

I really enjoy watching Tyler's Ultimate on Food Network. I have made several recipes I saw there, and they have been very good, so I save them up on the DVR for when I have evenings Dave won't be around to complain about me 'cooking something weird'. Last night I decided to try the Chicken and Sausage Etouffee - a thick and slightly spicy chicken and sausage soup.

I looked up the recipe before I left work so I could swing by the store and get anything I was missing, and the recipe called for a bottle of beer for deglazing the pan. I don't drink, so I know nothing about beer. At the store the beer aisle is quite long and there are lots of varieties. I finally picked one that sounded like a good beer - didn't want to ruin it with cheap beer!

So I got home and started cooking and following along the tv show, and on the show instead of deglazing the pan with the beer, he said to DRINK it while the roux was browning! I think perhaps there was a miscommunication between the show producers and the recipe writer :)

The etouffee was delicious! Dave even liked it for a late dinner when he got home. Now, what am I going to do with that extra bottle of beer?

2 comments:

annaliese said...

the beer was not for de-glazing the pan...it was for glazing the cook...bwahahahhaha...too funny!! glad it turned out good! ~ oh, and you could always use the beer as a marinade for a roast in the crockpot ~ not being a beer drinker either, it's the only thing I ever use it for :)

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

lol! Make sure you follow that recipe to the letter, now. Bottoms up! hehe!

I bet that etouffee was yummy!

~Lisa