Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Around the chickenyard

We had a little incident yesterday with our 'escape artist' chickens. I didn't notice one had got out and we went out with the dogs, and Dioji ran into her, so he and Barclay cornered her under the bushes and it was all I could do to hold Dioji back. Meanwhile Barclay had her by the tail and she was screaming and squawking, and Jack was trying to get in on the action. Dave heard the commotion and came out to help, and I put her in the extra chicken tractor in the other part of the backyard away from the dogs, then I added another runaway this morning, and her sister who was broody and needed to get off the nest anyway. So I have three hens in this tractor. Hopefully there won't be any more dog incidents.


Inside the orchard fence, the other tractor is a nursery.

Big Red and her ten happy chicks. Occasionally one escapes and runs around the tractor peeping because it can't figure out how to get back in. So I'll catch them (a big fishing net helps) and put them back. I'm hoping they'll outgrow the holes they are sneaking out through soon!

Baby rooster on the chair

Working on his cock-a-doodle-doos :)

2 comments:

Mer said...

Glad Dioji didn't get ahold of any of them. I bet you had your hands full holding him back!

StefRobrts said...

Actually Dioji did very well, he was mostly curious, then when Barclay grabbed the chickens tail you could tell he wanted a piece of that! But he could have dragged me across the yard if he wanted but he didn't. He was very well behaved considering the temptations! :)