Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Silk Paintings

Sorry for the bad picture, it's hard to take a picture of a picture.

We don't have a lot of artwork around the house. One of the few pieces that really means something to me is this beautiful Japanese silk painting, at least I think that's what it is. I know it's on silk. It was my great grandfather's, and then my grandfather had it in his room, and then after he passed I asked Grandma if I could have it. I had always loved it, and could spend hours gazing into it and wondering who lived in the houses and where the boats were going.

It had spent many years in a cheap wooden frame, pressed up against the glass, and a few years ago I noticed the paint was sticking to the glass in spots. So I took it to a frame shop and had it archive framed with acid free paper and all that.

Today we spent our day off downtown, had lunch, and then went to the antique stores, and I saw this:

Another vintage silk painting! It's not as colorful or detailed as mine, but for $20 I had to have it. There is something about paint on silk, it is beautiful, it almost glows. Someday I'll have to have this one re-framed to match the other and display them side by side. I was just so surprised to see another old silk painting. I love it!

1 comment:

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

What an awesome find! I wonder if the same artist created both of them. The style is so similar!


~Lisa