Sunday, July 19, 2009

An owl!

Last night I stepped out the back door after dusk to do something, I don't remember what, and I was surprised when a big bird flew out of the cherry tree, which is about 30ft off the back deck. I immediately recognized it as an owl because it was BIG, much bigger than the crows who usually hang out there, and it made no noise flying. It flew across the backyard and landed in one of the fir trees along our back property line. These are young fir trees, maybe only 20ft tall, so they barely held his weight. I got a good look at his sillouette against the darkening sky. Then I looked down and noticed Mouse was stalking towards him! What an idiot! Not only was he 20ft up in a tree, but he was bigger than she is! He decided he was getting too much attention and took off and silently flapped across the pasture and dissapeared into the darkness. We have seen a few owls, and occasionally heard them, but this was the most interesting encounter yet!

1 comment:

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Very cool! I love owls. One landed on my roof last week, which is pueblo-style flat and made a huge racket. And then it hooted for about 15 minutes and it was so weird to be right below him in my bedroom, listening to that sound. Cool and eerie!

~Lisa