Friday, July 10, 2009

Out with the old, in with the new

Today I got two new roosters from Sharon at SnoKit Farms. She had a couple extra blue cochins, and I thought Penny would enjoy having some other cochins waddling around the pen with her, so I said 'bring them on over'! They have not been handled so I'm going to keep them in the chicken tractor a few days and see if I can make friends with them. I'd also like to finish the chickenwire fencing around the pen before I let them loose, else the other chickens might teach them bad habits and I'll be stuck with even more wandering chickens!


As for Big Bird, he made his own bed, and I do not regret a thing. He is gone now, and we'll hope these new roosters stay friendly and we won't have to go through this again. Sharon, who has about 200 chickens of every color and size you can imagine, said that is one thing she will not put up with - mean roosters have to go. They can't be retrained or reasoned with. So we did what we had to do.

No comments: