Thursday, July 23, 2009

Noctilucent Clouds

Are these Noctilucent clouds?

I've read about these clouds several times in the astronomy related newsletters I subscribe to, and I think this evening we got a rare showing of them! I walked outside to play with the dogs and I looked out at the sunset and saw these beautiful, whispy, ice-blue clouds in the East.


Sunset was already pretty much over and the stars were already out in force, yet these clouds were brightly lit. Whatever they were, they were beautiful, with incredible texture. I wish I had had a tripod handy (and my old camera) so I could have gotten a longer exposure. As it was I tried some different setting on my little point & shoot to try and capture these strange night-time clouds.

1 comment:

annaliese said...

oh these are incredible clouds! I have never heard of them before, but they are just stunning! thanks for sharing!