Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Duelling Crockpots

I have not one but TWO crockpots cooking today. I got up first thing this morning and prepared Chipotle Beef Barbacoa (hopefully close to the barbacoa you get at the Chipotle fast food place, which is very good, but there's not one anywhere near here) and got it cooking in the crockpot. By dinnertime that beef should be falling apart! I also prepared pinto beans, and have them cooking in the little crockpot with bacon, onions, garlic, some spices, and one chipotle pepper left over from the barbacoa. The house smells terrific :)

I also have some beef marinating in the fridge and we'll grill that for dinner, in case the crockpot beef is too spicy. Either way there will be choice of mild or spicy beef and lots of leftovers! Yesterday I made fresh pico de gallo for snacking on. I saw on TV how to remove the membrane from a jalepeno so it wouldn'tbe so hot, and it's perfect (I'm a real whimp when it comes to spicy food)!

I read real barbacoa involves cooking a goat in a pit for hours and hours, carefully watched over by a guy drinking a beer - apparently that's a really important part of the recipe. I would love to have food that was really cooked in a pit someday. Sounds so rustic.

2 comments:

Goofy said...

I'll be there in 30 minutes. :)

StefRobrts said...

The barbacoa was HOT! A bit too much for me. I'll have to mix it with the other beef to even it out. I could have put more spices in the beans too - that's the problem with making a 1/4 recipe. Otherwise everything turned out yummy!