Monday, July 13, 2009

Chicken wire and roosters

Today I finished putting chicken wire around the orchard fence in an effort to contain my wayward chickens. Floppy the Hen has been getting out everyday, and we find her wandering around the backyard. This encourages the dog to chase chickens, and allows her to hide her eggs somewhere in the yard (so today I only got 2 eggs out of the coop). Of our 8 hens, Big Red is missing, Little Red is broody, the black hen is mothering chicks, so that leaves 5 hens to lay eggs - Penny and the four buff orpingtons. Since a hen lays an egg every day and a half or so, it about makes sense that I'm getting 2 or 3 eggs a day. I'll be glad when everyone gets back into production, we have friends waiting for eggs.

Today I also put the new roosters into the orchard. I let everyone out into the yard together, and gave them scratch and slowly lured them back into the orchard. There was a bit of fussing and pecking, but I'm sure the new roosters will figure out their place in the flock.

Update: I haven't seen a wandering chicken since I finished the fence - yay, and I've gone from 2-3 eggs a day to a steady 4 - seems like somebody WAS hiding her eggs from me!

1 comment:

Lois Grebowski said...

Hope the new roosters behave... LOL!