Friday, June 26, 2009

The Lawnmower rides again!

I've once again gotten the mower running. It had thrown a belt, the tranny was acting up, and it was making a horrible metal-on-metal noise which made me very uncomfortable last time Dave used it. I thought for sure it was time for a new mower. But we stopped and looked at them at Lowes the other day and the cheapest one equivalent to ours was still $1000!

So I pulled the deck off and found a brace under the deck had rusted through on one end and gotten bent in so one of the blades was brushing it every go-round. So I removed the brace, replaced the belt, sharpened the blades, greased whatever needed greasing, and put the deck back on (with Dave's help, that thing is a bear to wrestle around). He took it for a test drive and mowed the grass along the road and it did fine, and didn't even make any funny noises. It still needs to be hooked up to the charger before it will start, because I think I burned out the charging system last year when I hooked up a battery backwards, but other than that, it sounds like it might just make it another season.

2 comments:

Vancouver Lodge said...

Congrats on fixing the lawnmower, Steph. Is there anything you can't do?! I am so impressed!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Yay! Good news! You rock!

~Lisa