Friday, May 01, 2009

Part of my 'get out more' resolution


My resolution for this year was to 'get out more and get in shape', and specifically to hike to the top of Silver Star. So as part of my 'get out more' plan I am going to start biking again. I used to bike everywhere when I was a kid. I didn't even learn to drive until I went away to college. I kind of miss the feeling of zipping along with the wind in your hair (though now you're supposed to wear a helmet). So I pulled out the cheap Huffy I bought a few years ago, tuned it up and rode up and down the driveway a few times, and then up to the mailbox and back. Oh my thighs! And my balance wasn't what it used to be. I'm sure a bit more practice will help get my confidence back.

Update: Before work I stopped by a new shopping center/neighborhood that's under construction and still mostly empty, and rode around there for ten minutes or so. Then after work I went by a local park and rode around there and into the nearby neighborhood, which also connected to a development with nice new streets and no houses. So all together I got about 35 minutes of riding, and was feeling more confident and balanced already. Plus I had forgotten the joys of riding, the wind on your face, the smells of flowers and trees in bloom as you ride past. I could even smell the chinese food place several blocks away! What fun. And it's so quiet, just the hum of the tires, you can hear the birds in the trees. What a beautiful day for it too.


1 comment:

j.yue said...

we just dusted off our bikes as well. felt good. i love the quietness like you said as well. taking in our northwest sounds and smells.