Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The glamorous life of a chicken keeper

My chickens have mites! Not their fault, they can get them from the wild birds who come visit to steal their food. Penny had a dirty bottom the other day, and when I caught her and turned her over to clean it off, I saw little buggies on her bum! Yikes! But when I got over being totally grossed out by that, I asked my chicken mentor what to do. She said to go get a powder at the feed store and powder her bum and under her wings, and treat the other birds and the nest boxes too. So tonight Dave and I went out after the birds had been asleep a few hours and caught them one by one and I flipped them over so he could powder their bottom, then I rolled them over and lifted each wing, and once they were done set them back on their perch where I found them, still sleepy and wondering what the heck happened!

No pictures of their indignity, needless to say!

Luckily chicken mites have no interest in people. But it's still creepy!

3 comments:

Lois Grebowski said...

Poor chickens... I'm glad there's a remedy for that.

annaliese said...

powdering chickens bums. yes, that is glamorous. you are awesome :)

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Sure wish someone would powder my bottom. lol!

But not with lice powder. eww!

~Lisa

word verification: calks

Tthe sound that chickens make when they're butts are powdered