Monday, March 09, 2009

Still snowing...

Still snowing, but not really sticking. White rain I guess. Sure is pretty to watch.

Night before last when I heard snow was coming again, and the temp had dropped considerably by nightfall, I went out and caught the garden chickens. They were napping on their roost for the night, which made it easier to catch them. Still, big red chicken SCREAMED the whole way, while I tucked her head under my arm to muffle the sound - I'm sure the neighbors thought we were having chicken for dinner! I put them back with the rest of the flock. I don't think the chicken tractor is warm enough for the chickens to stay out in it in this kind of weather. I may be pampering them, but I wanted them to be in the insulated coop while it was storming out.

3 comments:

annaliese said...

Which brings up the question--so do you eat chicken? I know not THOSE ones, but from the store?

StefRobrts said...

Oh yes, no problem with that. I have moral issues with killing something myself, but not with eating meat in general - I suppose that's hypocritical. Of course, I don't even have moral problems with fish, I love to fish, and the big reward is eating a fish you've caught yourself. But I also have a lot of pet fish. Maybe it has to do with brain size. Fish have teeeeeny little brains. Chickens have slightly bigger brains. By the time you're looking at a sheep with big brown eyes wanting it's head scratched I don't feel like eating lamb anymore, you know?

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

chicken dinner? hehe

Better to be safe then have a chicken-cicle. Get it? hehe

~Lisa