Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Steamed Hard Boiled Eggs

I saw an add on TV for an egg steamer, and had a laugh about it because I LOVE the way those gadget commercials always make simple tasks look impossible in order to convince you to buy their gadget. So they were showing these people who were unable to cook eggs without their fancy steamer, which I thought was quite funny. But the idea stuck with me and so I looked it up on the net. Indeed people do steam eggs to hard boil them, and several sites I read suggested the steam makes it easier to peel the eggs. Because our eggs are so fresh, they are very hard to peel, hard enough that I had given up making hard boiled eggs with them!

So I pulled out the steamer and took a few eggs, pierced a little hole in one end (I think that was supposed to keep it from blowing the shell apart, but they did that anyway), and set it to steam for 30 minutes, which is what I read online. I also read to steam them for 10 and let them rest for 20. After 30 minutes I moved them into a bowl of ice water in the fridge for half an hour. Then I pulled them out and sure enough, those shells slipped right off! It was wonderful! And the eggs were perfect, didn't even have the green ring around the yolk. I did a bunch more and made egg salad for sandwiches, and then had a few left over for Dave to snack on.

I'm so excited to have found an easy way to cook our eggs. And I didn't need to buy any new gadgets to do it!

4 comments:

Goofy said...

well, I'll be dipped! I usually boil mine and lately they have been hard to shell. Think I'll be steaming them from now on! Martin will think I'm nuts...

annaliese said...

wow! thanks for the tip! I am going to try this, too.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Are you using a rice steamer?? That's the only kind of steamer I have. I'd like to try this, too.

I only boil eggs that are at least a week old. Then they peel easily. I boiled a bunch yesterday. They turned out great, except for that annoying green ring. Ewww. Would love to avoid that! :)

~Lisa

StefRobrts said...

Mine is an old veggie steamer, but I'm sure steam is steam. I've heard that you should use eggs that are at least a week or two old in order to make them easier to peel.