Monday, March 09, 2009

Orange Juice

I used to buy Tropicana Pure Premium Orange Juice, thinking I was getting the closest possible thing to the real stuff, until I read this article:



http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/articles/2009/02/22/qa_with_alissa_hamilton/?page=full



It's in interview with the author of a book called "Squeezed: What you don't know about Orange Juice". Well, you know that can't be good. I don't know if it's truth or hype, but it was a wake up call to remember to eat food with the least processing whenever possible.



So in my ongoing quest to 'eat real food, not too much, mostly plants' (see Michael Pollan's book In Defense of Food: An Eater's manifesto), the concept of only eating things Grandma would have recognized as food, I decided to start drinking fresh-squeezed juice for breakfast.



I already had the juicer head for the mixer, I bought it a couple years ago, thinking I would squeeze a bunch of oranges at the beginning of the week to enjoy all week. Well that didn't work out. But it turns out that just squeezing two oranges for breakfast every morning is fast and easy, in fact I can juice them and have the whole thing cleaned up before my toast pops up. And it tastes really good. Plus now I have oranges around the kitchen, so I'm more likely to grab one for a snack during the day. There are also fresh baked cookies in the kitchen, and since I'm sure Grandma would have recognized those as food, they are also fair game.

I was put off a bit by the fact that the oranges are still sprayed with some unpronouncable chemicals to protect them during shipping. We'll just have to live with that, I guess, since Oranges are not something we can grow around here.

5 comments:

annaliese said...

are they all sprayed with it? even the ones in the health food stores--natural/organic? whatever? --it is probably obvious to you that I have no idea what I'm talking about--but since you are doing the natural thing...thought I'd do my best to help. you're welcome :) lol!

StefRobrts said...

I'll bet the organic ones are clean (maybe, you never know), but they're so expensive!

Mer said...

Good for you! I can't drink orange juice... it makes me cry... but if I could, I would want some fresh squeezed like that. :)

Goofy said...

Wow... good to know! We've been heading down the "whole foods" road to eating, too. Making our own bread instead of store bought, our own granola bars, soups... so far, so good. Still have a loooong way to go, though!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I wonder how companies, like Tropicana can get away without having to list any artificial or natural flavors added to OJ?
Isn't that illegal?

I drink Tropicana and enjoy it, but it's often too strong forme and I have to add water to it to 'level' it out, so it's not too tart.

We also drink the concentrates, too, but they tend to go sour very fast.

Good for you making your own OJ. Just make sure you wash the oranges first before juicing with them, so none of the chemicals get dripped into your juice.

~Lisa

word verification: consepta

I like the consepta of squeezing your own oranges for juice.