Monday, March 09, 2009

Nothing in Life is free - when you're a dog

I've been thinking about this 'nothing in life is free' thing that we have been trying on Barclay. Not that i have been trying it too well, if it burdens me, I'm less likely to do it than I am to be lazy and do it my regular way. One of the things I don't do well is get him on a feeding schedule, mostly because Alki free-feeds, so there is always food down, and he doesn't care much about his food anyway, so his bowl always has food in it too. I'm supposed to pick it up and not let him have anything until I choose to offer it to him again, but I can't be the dog food nazi, I have other things to do, so I just leave it down and he'll come snack when he wants some. In my mind it's healthier if they don't develop an obsession with gulping down every kibble the moment it appears. I've never had fat dogs, so I must be doing something right.

Plus, Barclay is not that bad, he's actually pretty darned good, so I might be more devoted to the cause if I really thought he had issues. Basically the more I think about it, the more I think I'm OVER-thinking it. He's not trying to dominate anyone or rule the house. If anything he is a pretty 'soft' dog, who if not eager to please, is certainly eager to stay off the radar, and just likes to have fun.

Today I came home and on purpose played run and chase games with him. He didn't know it but there were some important lessons hidden in the games, things about responding to his name and running towards me when I call him. He was just having fun running and chasing and fetching and doing all the stuff he enjoys anyway, and needs to do to burn off energy. And I got some exercise too - I was panting by the time we came inside! Running my butt off :)

This whole dog training thing is a puzzle. What worked on Alki doesn't work on Barclay, and what works on Barclay probably won't work on the next dog. Maybe that's part of the fun anyway.

3 comments:

Goofy said...

Welcome to mother-hood!!! What works on one kid doesn't necessarily work on another. :)

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Sounds like you've got the best interests of your dogs at heart. Yes, you are probably over-thinking, but you love them, so it's ok. :)

~Lisa
word verification: Zoisa

Wouldn't that be a cool dog name?

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I just had to do another post because of the word verification that popped up:

bikerena!

I've heard of doing the mackerena, but bikerena??
lol!

~Lisa