Friday, February 06, 2009

Tough decisions

Things just keep getting harder it seems. Business started to pick up and we thought we would work our way through this mess and then we get a notice from our health insurance that it was jumping up our bill to over $500 a month! And we never use it, we're healthy, we just have it in case something catastrophic happens. Like last year I think they paid out when I crushed my finger while putting up a T-post and had to go to the emergency clinic. But $500 a month? Really? What do they charge people who aren't young and healthy? And they're a private company so it's within their rights to do so. Those guys in DC better get their act together and come up with some kind of a national medical plan regular people can actually afford.

In other news, on Sunday the livestock will be going to a goat rescue up in Kent, WA. I contacted her for advice about placing the goats, and she said she had room for the whole flock. She will find them good pet homes. I am very relieved someone will be able to find them homes where they won't get eaten, and that I won't have to spend any more money on feeding them or worrying about their health care. I really just don't have a dollar to spare right now. It's just a blessing that there are people who are looking out for the animals, even the farm animals, who can step in to help.

Here is her website, so you can see what a fantastic job she does rescuing goats.

Naughty Goat Animal Rescue

3 comments:

annaliese said...

so, I just cried as I read this. I am ridiculous. I know they are going to good homes and I know they would be eaten out here. they are just so sweet and familiar and I hate that I won't be able to see them anymore.

I am so glad that they were loved by you and so grateful for all the time you spent caring for them and now finding them a safe place.

I do hope it helps with the finances and that you will now be able to rest a bit!

StefRobrts said...

I know, the field will be so empty without them, but we're just certain it will be the best thing for everyone right now. I'm glad we got to enjoy them for a while.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

What a cute...and wonderful oat rescue. I'm sorry you have to give them up. I've considered this several times myself, because things are so tight here as well as the fact that I'm not able to take care of them at all, and my husband's getting very tired.
I just can't bear it, though. They bring me smiles every time I see them.

So far my husband feels we can still keep them, but I, too must try to stay open if we have to find them new homes. The hardest will be Pepper, our Boer/Cashmere goat because he would probably be used as food by whoever bought him, as his breed is traditionally used for meat. sigh. What terrible times we're in right now.

Will you be keeping your sheep? I have a special something for you on my blog. I hope it will cheer you up just a little bit...

((HUGS))
~Lisa

ps. And I hope business picks up soon.