Sunday, February 01, 2009

Leftovers Frittata


What do you do when you have nearly two dozen eggs in the fridge and no one to give them to? How about make a frittata? This was actually inspired by having nothing on hand for breakfast except eggs. Eggs are the one thing we have too many of!

I sauteed half an onion, then added some cut up chicken left over from one of those roasted chickens from the store (which gave us enough chicken for three meals, I might add), then I shredded up two leftover small hunks of cheese - one pepper jack, one gruyere. Leave the cheese too close to the edge of the counter so Barclay can steal about a third of it. Crack open a dozen eggs and whisk them with a little dash of milk. Put half the remaining cheese in the eggs, dump them into the skillet with the onions and chicken, and stir. When it's starting to set up put the rest of the cheese on top, pop it under the broiler a few minutes until browned and puffy - I was really surprised it got puffy like that - and it's done! I put a dab of sour cream on it, but it was just as good without. Easy and delicious, and used up a bunch of leftover tidbits, so I always like that.

3 comments:

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Mmmm...yummy!
I am so missing eggs right now.
I just sold two dozen yesterday actually. We're only getting between 1-8 eggs a day from our 15 hens, but because I'm the only one who cooks eggs in this family, we're not eating any, because I still can't get down to the kitchen very well and can't stand up for long. :(

We've been giving eggs away to our visitors that had been bringing us meals, but that's pretty much stopped...so now we're getting an influx of eggs. gah!

Thanks for sharing that pretty fritata :)

~Lisa

StefRobrts said...

We get four or five eggs a day, I can't imagine having to deal with 8 a day! But I could never get rid of any chickens, their personalities are just too fun!

Don't worry, you'll be at it again before you know it. It just seems like forever right now!

Lulu LaBonne said...

Do you have chickens? lucky you. Souffl├ęs next then