Monday, October 20, 2008

Grazing the backyard AND Is that a He or a She?

The critters have all been stuck in the corral since I took them off the pasture last week so it can recover over the winter. So I thought they'd be happy today when I put them in the backyard to graze. I figured it was tall enough it could use to be eaten down a bit, and there's nothing back there I care about them damaging.


Of course, they still complain as soon as they see me - Baaaaaaaa!

Here's Mom and her not-so-little lambs. Marian is in the middle, Indy is on the right.


Here's Big Bird, he's starting to get a tail. Unfortunately he's starting to get those nasty spikes on the back of his legs too!



Just for comparison, here are two of my three buff orpington girls. Two of them look like the one in the top picture, but the third one is in the bottom picture. A lot more red on the face, and starting to get a tail. I think I might have an extra rooster!

3 comments:

Lois Grebowski said...

I just love seeing and learning about all your animals. Me thinks the bottom one may be a boy...

Rooster spikes are dangerous. Please be careful!

StefRobrts said...

My big bird doesn't have his 'spurs' yet. I've heard you have to occasionally trim them once they grow in. Like I need more hazards to deal with around here! Glad you're enjoying the updates!

StefRobrts said...

Oops, I meant to say he doesn't 'quite' have them yet, as in they aren't sharp little daggars yet, but I'm sure that's where it's going!