Thursday, August 28, 2008

Spinning step 2 - flicking

So here's a nice climp of washed wool, and you can see how it naturally falls into locks.


Here's a few locks separated out. They are only about four inches long.


I have a small square of leather I put on my knee and set one lock on there.


I hold one end of it, and brush out the other end with a small slicker brush, flicking the fiber. This loosens up the wool, and gets out any remaining debris.

Here's how it looks flicked.

Turn it around and grab the flicked end, and do the other end.

Now the whole lock has been flicked.

A flicked lock compared to one that hasn't been flicked yet - you can see how loose and fluffy it is now.

All the flicked pieces go in a bag together and eventually they will be combined in the next step - carding. The flicking process separates the good wool from the broken bits, the little tufts where the shearer had to cut twice to get down to the skin, and the pieces that are just too dirty to use. Quite a bit of wool goes in the garbage at this point, but the stuff that is left is really nice. I have only washed about a third of Mom's wool, so I have quite a bit to go - and then I can start on Al's wool! There's no shortage of fiber to play with here.

Although flicking each individual lock sounds tedious, it actually is relaxing, and goes quite quickly. I like to think about pioneer women while I flick out the locks, and wonder how it felt to be working with the wool from your sheep and wondering if you had enough to make hats and mittens to keep everyone warm through the winter. We do it for fun, but our forefathers (or foremothers I should say) had to know how to spin for survival. It's amazing to me all the skills they knew that we have lost!

3 comments:

Lois Grebowski said...

Can't wait to see what you do next!

StefRobrts said...

I'm figuring it out step by step. I'll be going back to my 'spinning mentor' for a lessons on carding next.

annaliese said...

incredible! i am so glad you are using the wool! it always seemed such a waste to just haul it to the dump each spring.