Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The chicken saga continues

Our chickens are wanderers. They hopped right over the four foot wire fence around their pen and explored the orchard, the backyard, the back field, the neighbors yard, the pasture. Somehow they kept finding their way back to the coop at night. They were chased by cats and dogs, but nothing bad happened. I had to be careful not to let the dogs out without checking to make sure it was clear of chickens. A few days ago Chester got lucky and cornered a chicken and grabbed it's wing and pulled out a bunch of feathers before we got it away from him. The chickens scattered and I thought for sure they were gone, but eventually they all came back.


So today we ended that nonsense by putting netting over the pen, stretching from the fence to the tree. It goes all the way around like a big circus tent. I guess we'll see if it's tight enough, there's a hole around the tree, but I don't think they'll go for it. I guess we'll find out.

So today they were trapped in the pen, and they don't seem too put out. I caught them sunning themselves this afternoon.

No comments: